Löbau | Administrative area | City districts

With a total area of 78.74 km², Löbau is ahead of the nearest towns of Görlitz (67.22 km²), Bautzen (66.63 km²) and Zittau (25.42 km²), making it one of the largest towns in Eastern Saxony.

The city of Löbau, its 23 districts: Altcunnewitz, Bellwitz, Carlsbrunn, Dolgowitz, Ebersdorf, Eiserode with Peschen, Georgewitz, Glossen, Großdehsa, Kittlitz with Unwürde, Kleinradmeritz, Krappe, Laucha, Lautitz, Mauschwitz, Nechen, Neucunnewitz, Neukittlitz, Oppeln, Rosenhain, Wendisch-Paulsdorf, Wendisch-Cunnersdorf, Wohla and ca. 1.700 hectares of city forest belong to the municipal area of Löbau.

The districts of Löbau and the city forests have a long and interesting history, as does the town of Löbau itself, which together with the towns of Lawalde, Großschweidnitz and Rosenbach form an Administrative Community.


Großschweidnitz | Member of the Löbau Administrative Community

In 1306 the two villages Schweynicz (Groß- und Kleinschweidnitz) were first mentioned in documents. For four centuries they consisted of two manors and farms. From the 17th to the 19th century the mill trade here settled (13 mills). Today there are none left. At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, the Englishman Duncan established a large linen factory and the Free State of Saxony established a sanatorium and care home, thus leaving their mark on today's village.

Both villages were merged into Großschweidnitz first in 1937. The Saxon hospital on an area of about 30 hectares is today one of the largest architectural monuments east from Dresden with its elaborately restored yellow brick buildings in a park landscape.

Untypical for Upper Lusatia, there are hardly any Upper Lusatian (Umgebindehäuser) half-timbered houses in the village, but a large village school, many villa-like town houses and a beautiful railway viaduct from the turn of the century. The attraction for dreamers and hikers is the "Höllengrund", a legendary, idyllic rocky valley with a mountain stream and a lonely "Waldhaus".

Lawalde | Member of the Löbau Administrative Community

Lawalde was first mentioned in 1290 as a settlement of a feudal lord. After 1547, the village came under aristocratic control. In 1752 a linen merchant became the owner of a manor. In the period from 1802 to 1839, the Oberlawalde manor house was divided and on its border was created the district "Dragon's tail (Drachenschwanz)".

Apart from agriculture, the main occupation of the inhabitants was household weaving. The church was built in 1777. Its special highlight is the freestanding bell tower, which was built in 1698 and is unique in Upper Lusatia. In the museum of local history and agriculture you can learn about the life in the past. The "Niedermühle Lawalde" is a still functioning watermill where grain was milled until 1989.

The villages of Lauba and Kleindehsa have been part of the municipality of Lawalde since 1994. Lauba was first mentioned in 1306 in the document of the Brandenburg Margraves Otto and Waldemar. The many tourist attractions and destinations invite you to visit Lawalde and its surroundings in every season of the year. The activities of the village association are very important in Lawalde, which is proven by the countless festivals throughout the year.

Rosenbach | Member of the Löbau Administrative Community

The community of Rosenbach was founded in 1994 from two independent villages Bischdorf and Herwigsdorf. Both villages were founded by German colonists. Bischdorf was first mentioned in a document in 1227, but Herwigsdorf not until 1317.

The oldest monument is the church in Bischdorf, but the church in Herwigsdorf is also worth a visit. The villages are surrounded by the wooded hills of Rotstein and Löbauer Berg, popular destinations in the region. Characteristic of the region, which has existed for centuries, are the forest-loop villages (the so-called Waldhufendorf) and feudal and knightly estates, which after 1900 were partly nationalised and used as military horse breeding farms.

In the municipality of Rosenbach there are many places and natural monuments worth visiting. The most famous of these is certainly the thousand-year-old oak. Another popular destination is the "Mittelmühle" in Bischdorf. The renovated watermill with the largest internal and functional waterwheel in Saxony welcomes its guests today as a restaurant and accommodation.

The regional association is also very active in Rosenbach, as evidenced by numerous events. Hexenbrennen (Witch Burning) on April 30, Hähnewettkrähen (Rooster Crow Competition) on Pentecost and the Village Festival are just some of them.

The small village of Altcunnewitz in the old Kittlitz habitat (Altsiedelland), whose age cannot be determined, was under the control of the Lautitz manor. The land was divided into blocks and was farmed in the 18th century by seven horticultural-food owners (small farmers) and four cottagers. The inhabitants lived from agriculture and cattle breeding. After 1864 some small farmers bought themselves free and bought land.

Altcunnewitz has belonged to the parish of Kittlitz for centuries. In 1994 Altcunnewitz came to Kittlitz and in 2003 the village was incorporated into the district town Löbau (Große Kreisstadt Löbau).

The village includes Bellwitz and Niederbellwitz. The mills Buschmühle at Rosenhainer Wasser and Gemauerte Mühle at the northern edge of Georgewitz Skala also belong to the village. The first documented mention dates back to 1312 in connection with Lodewicus de Bellenwicz. The manor house mentioned in 1312 appears in 1572 as a knight's property. The present manor house is a two-storey building and was rebuilt in the 19th century in the Neo-Renaissance style. Three coats of arms (von Hartitsch, von Gersdorf, von Klüx) have been left on it.

The coat of arms of the Heldreich family (the owners for over two centuries) is located at the entrance gate to Bellwitz Castle. About 800 metres south-west from Bellwitz, on a high rocky slope above Löbauer Wasser, is Bielplatz, the remains of a Slavic castle wall. The rampart was founded around the year 1000 and was probably used to protect the former Nisa ford on the old Saxon trade route through Göda (near Bautzen) to Jauernick-Buschbach (near Görlitz) to Silesia, where passing merchants had to pay fees. The "Bielplatz" was a sectional rampart with a vestibule of the former castle complex in the shape of a horseshoe. After the conquest, the fortified castle was still used in the early German period. At the beginning of the 20th century the complex was severely damaged by the quarry. The Slavic word bély means white (also: bel = beautiful).

On the hiking trail in Georgewitz Skala, which leads further north, just above the Löbauer Wasser River, there is a granite rock about 15 metres high, the so-called Knight's Jump. The idyllic "Gemauerte Mühle" in Georgewitz Skala (watermill on the Löbauer Wasser) has become a popular and frequently visited destination with a gondola ride. From here strata antiqua Lusatiae led as far as Buschmühle in Niederbellwitz, where the power of the water from Rosenhain was used for a grain, oil and bone mill and then a rag mill. The village belongs to the parish of Kittlitz. In 1970 Georgewitz and Bellwitz were merged, and in 1994 Bellwitz became a district of Kittlitz, which was incorporated into the Große Kreisstadt Löbau in 2003.

The village of Carlsbrunn was originally founded by the well between Kittlitz and Wohla in 1763 by Carl Gotthelf, Baron von Hund und Altengrotkau, owner of the Kittlitz manor and an important German freemason, when Czech Protestant religious refugees settled on 45 hectares of Kittlitz land and named it after him. Carlsbrunn is therefore the youngest village in Upper Lusatia.

The layout of the village indicates that simple country houses, situated along three main roads, converged on a small village square, which was the centre of the settlement from the time of the village's foundation, with a pond and a linden. The former well and another well of historical construction still exist.

The village belongs to Kittlitz in parish and school terms and was incorporated into Kittlitz in 1974, and in 2003, together with Kittlitz, into the the Große Kreisstadt Löbau.

In 1241 the village of Dolgowitz was first mentioned in the inventory document 'Item de burquardo Dolgowitz, ab eo loco ubi onfluunt Lubotna et Ostrozniza'. This fortress with an alleged fortification on the Rotstein hill became the spiritual territory of the bishop of Meissen.

Dolgowitz is a square village. For a long time it belonged to the Unwürde manor. Dolgowitz has been part of the Löbau administration since 1875 (Amtshauptmannschaft Löbau). The village belongs to parish of Bischdorf.

Dolgowitz with its nearby Zoblitz railway station and car park is a popular starting point for hikes in Saxony's oldest nature reserve, Rotstein. Since 1974 Dolgowitz was incorporated into Rosenhain and came to Löbau in 1994.

Ebersdorf is located in the foreground of a fortified settlement (approx. 1200 to 800 BC, one of the largest complexes in a large area) on the Schafberg, the second Löbauer Berg peak, so we can assume that already in the period of the so-called Lusatian culture, it was settled here.

This place, which is one of the strongest fortified settlements in the area, was probably inhabited by the Germanic Semnon tribe. Ebersdorf is mentioned in a document from 1317, when Margrave Woldomar of Brandenburg designated eight villages under the jurisdiction of the town of Löbau.

In 1660, 17 weavers worked here. By 1715 there were already 43 out of 856 weavers from the entire Löbau region.

The battle of Ebersdorf took place on 9 September 1813. Napoleon's Polish and French troops fought in retreat with Russian troops under the command of General Yussofowicz and the Prussian allies. Walled-in cannon balls in some buildings and a memorial stone on the stadium remind of the battle.

Easter customs, such as Easter fires, and other seasonal customs, such as setting a May tree and a Walpurgis fire, Hexenbrennen (Witch Burning), bird wedding and carnival, can still be experienced today. On 01.01.1999 the village of Ebersdorf was incorporated into the town of Löbau as a district.

A document from 1354 confirms that the village of Eiserode was owned by the Marienstern Monastery in Panschwitz-Kuckau. The first documented mention of the village appeared when Otto von Luttitz transferred the interest income from the village of "Ysenrode with all the rights that he and his father already had" to St. Marienstern Monastery. Earlier Otto and his vassal father ruled Kittlitz.

Eiserode was a monastic village until the Reformation in Saxony, after which the town of Löbau took over jurisdiction. The distribution of the land indicates that it was a Rundling village. The Sorbian name Njeznar means "people of Njeznar", later: 1354 Ysenrode | 1383 Ysenrade | 1543 Eyserode.

In 1777 there was one farmer, three small farmers and 14 cottagers in the village. Peschen as a small village with several houses is located west of Eiserode. The village belongs to the parish of Kittlitz. Eiserode was incorporated into Löbau in 1994.

Georgewitz is a typical farming village. The first written mention comes from the year 1305 and finds in the local gravel pit prove that the land was settled long before that. Today, the still popular Slavic field names, such as "Hasken" = alley or "Slala" = rock, indicate the Slavic foundation of the village. Probably a German locator named Georg redesigned the village. In 1305 there was a manor house in Gorguwitz. In the document of the Archives of the Löbau Council of May 1 1306, Gorghewicz is listed among 20 villages which, on the orders of the margraves Otto and Woldemar of Brandenburg, fell under the jurisdiction of the city of Löbau.

In 1397 the village belonged to the lords Nostitz of Kittlitz. After the penalty (Oberlausitzer Pönfall), which was imposed on the Upper-Lusatian Six Towns League by the Czech King Ferdinand I, Dr. Ulrich von Nostitz of Unwürde became the lord of the whole village in 1549. Georgewitz until 1832 (to liberate the peasants by abolishing the hereditary serfdom) belonged to the Unwürde manor.

Due to its location at the Löbauer Wasser river, several water mills were built in Georgewitz. A sawmill worked in the centre of the village until 1928. In the last house of today's Mühlweg street, at the beginning of the nature reserve "Georgewitzer Skala", was a grain mill. Apart from the mills, the forge and the stone grinding shop were also of importance, which ceased operation in 1978.

Until 1945, Georgewitz had one farmstead of over 30 hectares, four farms of over 20 hectares each, three of over 10 hectares each and other smaller farms. The "Haus Weg" house at Skala 14 in Georgewitz has been preserved in the old folk architecture - a half-timbered house with a slate roof, which is rare today.

The village has always belonged to the Kittlitz parish. Georgewitz and Bellwitz were merged in 1970, in 1994 were incorporated into Kittlitz and in 2003 to the Große Kreisstadt Löbau.

The first documented signs of Glossen are from 1241, when Glussina was founded (old Sorbian name glu'sína = forest thicket). In 1440 there was a knight's residence in the village, from which the manor house was built in the future. The manor was the owner of most of the land, which was divided into manor blocks.

In the 18th century there were still three farms, three small farmers and ten cottages. For a long time Goßwitz, Hasenberg and part of Mauschwitz belonged to Glossen. Since the late Middle Ages little Bautzner Landstraße led through Glossen. On the southern slope there was probably a small chapel that belonged to the mother church Kittlitz, because Glossen always belonged to the parish church Kittlitz. In the old castle (expropriated in 1945 for flats for resettled people, a trade union training building, a health centre for children since the early 1960s), sandstone balconies in both wings of the first floor building pay special attention. The dormers with semi-circular flat roofs are integrated with the mansard roof.

In 1994 a new, modern building was opened next to the old castle. For many years the complex and the park formed a psychosomatic and psychomotor rehabilitation clinic, which in the meantime has been closed again.

In 1974 Glossen was incorporated into Lautitz, in 1994 became part of Kittlitz municipality and in 2003 was incorporated into the Große Kreisstadt Löbau.

Groß- und Kleindehsa have always been separate villages whose old name is 'Dehse Thesin'.

The village belonged to the Wendish language area for a long time. In 1242 Großdehsa (then Dehse) was for the first time mentioned in a document and was named a manor house; since 1397 it was a knight's residence. It is a so-called Waldhufendorf. Between 1350 and 1777 the Cathedral Chapter in Bautzen owned a large part of the village. In 1777 there were 22 farmers, 18 small farmers and 45 cottages.

The district, with its "nature reserve" Bubenik and rare plants typical for dry soils, invites you to visit.

Radmariz appears for the first time in a document from 1261, which is in the archives of Bautzen Cathedral Monastery. The old Sorbian name Rad(o)mirici contains the name Rad(o)mir. Kleinradmeritz originally consisted of several parts: Radmeritz, Buda, Fritzkau, Paschkowitz and later also Hasenberg. Since 1402 it was a knight's residence and since 1581 a manor house.

The manor house is a simple building. Apart from agriculture, there used to be a water mill on the Löbauer Wasser river, a windmill and several independent craftsmen working here. Interesting are, for example, the border stones in Petschkenberg from 1815, after the secession of a large part of Saxony to Prussia.

Kleinradmeritz belongs to the parish of Kittlitz. Until 1993 it was an independent municipality, since 1994 a part of Kittlitz and in 2003 Kleinradmeritz was incorporated into the Große Kreisstadt Löbau.

Kittlitz is one of the oldest places in Upper Lusatia. The first documented mention is from 1160 (border document). It can be assumed (as evidenced by the discoveries: tools from the Neolithic or Bronze Age to the early Iron Age) that people lived here long before. It was a temporary Germanic tribe before the migration of the 4th century. Then the Slavic Milzener tribe settled in our area. The old Sorbian village centre was located around today's Niederdorfteich. The Slavic castle wall (the sconce) in Georgewitz Skala was used from the 10th to 13th century. Originally built and inhabited by Slavs, it probably became a castle fortress during the repopulation of Germany.

The economically powerful and politically influential Lords von Kittlitz, the oldest noble family of Upper Lusatia, as an aristocratic upper class "noble lords" (Heinrich von Chidelicz) received large areas of Upper Lusatia as fiefdom and dominated a large part of the old settlement country. The traces of a dry ditch and an underground passageway testify to the location of the knight's residence. On 17 April 1348, Charles IV reaffirmed to Henry of Kittlitz the rights, upper and lower jurisdiction and tax exemptions. Since the end of the 14th century, with the establishment of the Upper Lusatian Weichbildverfassung (book of law), the upper jurisdiction was exercised by the town of Löbau. In a border document from 1213 Kittlitz (Chidelicz) is mentioned on the "antiqua strata" of Dobereschau - Kittlitz - Jauernick. Through this connection, three old mission stations were connected during the Christianization of Upper Lusatia after the founding of the Meißen diocese in 968. From this road a branch led south of Kittlitz via the Lückendorfer Pass to Prague. Before foundation of town Löbau along this route, which was first mentioned in a document of 24 June 1221, the church in Kittlitz was the only one in the whole area (at that time 31 municipalities - today 24 districts). In the 11th century the chapel of St. Mary was consecrated here (the bell from 1202 was melted down in 1864). The oldest church building was built in 1252 in Gothic style. The altar of this church is lent to the Museum in Bautzen. The church was richly equipped as a mother church and looked after the chapels in Nostitz, Glossen and Breitendorf. The present church building (1749 - 1775) is a jewel of Baroque rural sacral architecture and one of the most beautiful and largest rural churches in Saxony. The tombstone of Friczko von Nostitz dated 1288 is built into the church. Carl Gotthelf, Baron von Hund und Altengrotkau (an important German Freemason) ordered the construction of the church according to his plans with the financial participation of all landowners of the parish of Kittlitz.

Important monuments in the cemetery are: a late-medieval penitential stone cross with a gouged out murder weapon (a spear on the wild boar), a stone cross with a relief depiction of the Kittlitz court district, which was rediscovered in 1983, tombstones of Christoph von Gersdorf and his wife, other tombstones of landowners belonging to the parish of Kittlitz, an obelisk for Field Marshal Daun in the crypt of the von Hund family and the grave of the important Sorbian composer Karl August Katzer (Kocer 1822 - 1904).

In connection with the war events Wallenstein (Waldstein) and Napoleon were temporarily accommodated in Kittlitz. Kittlitz has been an important school centre for most villages in the parish area since the Reformation. The castle in Kittlitz is a two-storey building with a mansard roof, from which an octagonal tower-shaped structure protrudes.

Apart from agriculture and cattle breeding, which are run by two manor houses, a dairy and a distillery and independent farms, agriculture was the main source of income for the lokals. Situated one kilometre east of Kittlitz, the Georgewitzer Skala nature reserve, where the course of the Löbauer Wasser River created a rocky gorge more than two kilometres long and up to 15 metres deep, is a botanically, geologically and historically important, attractive destination and local recreation area.

Unwürde, once an independent village, which has always been closely linked, also spatially, to Kittlitz, was an important knight's residence for Upper Lusatia, which lost its independence with its complete incorporation into Kittlitz in 1938. The village with Sorbian roots, named Uwer in 1306, was the birthplace of the noble line Nostitz - Unwürde, later von Hund und Altengrotkau.

The palace, a tasteful three-storey Baroque building, burned down at night from 26 to 27 January 1930 and was destroyed.

In 1938 Unwürde and Laucha were incorporated into Kittlitz. On 1 April 1974 Carlsbrunn, Wohla, Krappe and Oppeln were connected. As part of the municipal reform on 1 March 1994 the municipalities of Kleinradmeritz, Georgewitz-Bellwitz and Lautitz with the districts of Alt- and Neucunnewitz, Mauschwitz and Glossen merged with Kittlitz. On 1 January 2003 the municipality of Kittlitz (with almost 3,000 inhabitants and more than 40 km² of land) together with 15 districts was incorporated into Große Kreisstadt Löbau.

Krappe is a small agricultural village, which is undoubtedly a Sorbian settlement (type Rundweiler-round). Sorbian field names like horka = hill, Hajk = grove still indicate this.

One of the oldest road connections from Bautzen to Görlitz led through Krappe and Grube (Löbauer Wasser). The Krappe has probably always been a part of the individual landowners in Kittlitz (von Chideliz, von Gersdorf, von Nostitz, von Hund and Altengrokau) and also belonged to the parish in Kittlitz.

In 1679 the owner of the Nostitz estate Joachim Ernst von Liegler and Klipphausen founded his own parish and absorbed into Nostitz the hereditary, feudal and judicial villages, including Krappe. In 1777 there were five farms, nine small farmers and nine cottages in Krappe.

Until 1974 Krappe was an independent municipality, then it was incorporated into Kittlitz and in 2003 into the town of Löbau.

Laucha has existed in documents in the Lusatian language since 1306 as Luchowe. There are no longer any remains of the presumed old moated castle in the wet meadow area north of the former outworks.

In 1306, the margraves of Brandenburg placed the village under the jurisdiction of the Löbau council. In 1345 Heinrich, Lord Kittlitz, owned "an estate in the village of Lauchau with a local mill". Later the peripheral estate of Laucha belonged to the Unwürde manor.

In 1491 the feudal ruler of "Lawchau" is mentioned, who was obliged to pay interest to the lords on Kittlitz. 

Laucha was always parishly subordinate to Kittlitz. The independent village of Laucha was incorporated into Kittlitz until 1938 and in 2003, together with Kittlitz, into Löbau.

Lautitz, like the surrounding villages, belongs to the old habitat (Altsiedelland) Kittlitz. Since the 7th century a Slavic tribe of the Milzeners settled in our area. In the middle of the village between the former knightly estate in Wesen, Löbauer Wasser in the east and the former mill in the north, there was a water castle in the Middle Ages, whose moat filled with water has been partially preserved until today. In a document (Landeshauptarchiv Dresden) from 1206 Henricus de Lutiz is mentioned as the owner.

In 1318 Lautitz is a manor house, 1502 knightly estate. In 1777, apart from the manor house, there were four farmers and four small farmers who owned the land, which was divided into manor blocks. Lautitz and its former districts have been parishly connected to Kittlitz since time immemorial. The manor house that exists to this day is a simple, charming building with a cross-building. The fixed wing originally had three storeys and is broken up from the courtyard by vaulted arbours. The districts of Alt- and Neucunnewitz, Mauschwitz (in the middle - from 1945 also with part of Glossen) and from 1974 to Glossen belonged to Lautitz.

Today Lautitz is known for hop growing. In 1994 the villages were incorporated into Kittlitz and since 2003 they belong as districts to Löbau.

In 1205, Muschwicz was first mentioned as a manor house. For centuries the western part and the manor house belonged to the knights' estate of Lautitz. The eastern part of the village and the fief was under the control of the Glossen manor house.

In 1777 there were nine small farmers and nine cottages in the village. Since 1875 Mauschwitz belonged to Amtshauptmannschaft (administrative district) Löbau. Since ancient times Mauschwitz has belonged to the parish church in Kittlitz.

In 1994 this small agricultural village was incorporated into Kittlitz and in 2003 it was moved to Löbau.

Formerly an independent village was first mentioned in documents as 'Neechen' in 1306, when the Brandenburg Margraves took it under the jurisdiction of Löbau. The Upper Lusatian name of the place indicates that the property was probably owned by Nechan. Nechen has always belonged to the parish of Kittlitz.

In 1777 there were three farmers, four small farmers and six cottagers in the village. Nechen was known for his sheep breeding.

Eiserode and Nechen are ideal starting points for extended hikes to the Hochstein and the Czorneboh mountains.

Neucunnewitz has always belonged to the knightly estate of Lautitz and to the parish church in Kittlitz.

From around 1250 onwards goods were transported between southern and central Germany to Breslau and further east by Via Regia (Königsstraße), also known as Hohe Straße, and later Alte Poststraße, running through the village of Neucunnewitz. When a large part of Saxony came to Prussia after 1815, the road became a kilometre long border between Saxony and Prussia (the old border stones still exist today). Since then, postal traffic to southern Upper Lusatia no longer passed through Wasserkretscham, but through the Neucunnewitz postal station. Napoleon used this "Alte Heerstraße" several times. It can be proved that on 21 July 1790 Johann Wolfgang von Goethe used this road and on 11 August 1809. Theodor Körner followed this road from Bautzen to Reichenbach.

Gersdorf Crest (coat of arms) is built into the former manor house. Neucunnewitz came from Lautitz in 1994 to Kittlitz and has been part of Löbau since 2003.

The small idyllically situated settlement of Neukittlitz on the Löbau - Weißenberg hiking trail did not become an independent district until the names of the streets in Kittlitz were established. The origin of the settlement is obviously a manorial brickyard (brick barn with kiln and clay pit), which Carl Gotthelf Freiherr von Hund und Altengrotkau had built for the construction of the new church (1749 - 1775) and for the expansion of the two Kittlitz manors. In former times, the inhabitants of the original twelve estates mostly worked as day labourers on the Kittlitz manor.

In 2003 Neukittlitz and Kittlitz were incorporated into the town of Löbau.

Oppeln was first mentioned in a document in 1261 as the manor house of Wernherus de Opal, but it is probably much older, as archaeological finds indicate that it was settled earlier. In 1298 this place was mentioned again in the document (in connection with the Pastor of Kittlitz, where Oppeln belongs parishly).

In the village existed small feudal estate Kalkreuth, which was destroyed by fire (in 1834 it was still part of Oppeln). A branch "strata antiqua Lusatiae" led through Oppeln from Kittlitz to Niederbellwitz. There is still a ford through Löbauer Wasser in the Oppeln mill. The manor, a simple three-storey building with a mansard hipped roof, served for several centuries. In 1777, apart from the manor, there were eight garden food producers (small farmers) and 16 cottagers.

From Oppeln you can reach the nature reserve Georgewitzer Skala. Since 1974 Oppeln has been part of Kittlitz and since 2003 the town of Löbau.

Rosenhain was first mentioned in a document of 1317 as a place which was transferred to the jurisdiction of the city of Löbau. According to the spoken word, this place already existed in 1006.

In 1619, a manor estate is mentioned in a chain-type village (Waldhufendorf). In 1777 part of Rosenhain belongs to the manor estate of Bellwitz. Already earlier Rosenhain was divided between different estates (von Kittlitz, von Gersdorf, von Metzradt).

Parts of Rosenhain are parishly divided between parishes in Kittlitz and Bischdorf (Rosenhainer Wasser is a border). In 1994 Rosenhain was transferred to the town of Löbau.

The ancient village of Wendisch-Paulsdorf was remodelled in the 13th century by a German locator named Paul. In 1317 was placed under the jurisdiction of Löbau. It is said that already in the Middle Ages there was a manor house from which the manor estate was built in the 16th/17th century. In 1630 it was first mentioned as such. In order to distinguish it from the nearby village of Deutsch-Paulsdorf (today a part of Markersdorf near Görlitz), around 1700 "Wendisch" was added to the village name.

The village belongs to the parish of Kittlitz. In 1939 was incorporated into Rosenhain and in 1994 into Löbau.

The formerly independent village Wendisch-Cunnersdorf was first mentioned in 1317 as "Conradisdorf sclavicalis". In this document it is assigned to the Löbau court. This ancient village was redesigned in the 13th century by a locator named Konrad. The partial owners of the village were von Gersdorf of Lautitz, von Nostitz and von Hund und Altengrotkau of Unwürde.

In 1777 an independent manor house was built in the village. It consisted of a large, four-sided farm with a manor house and farm buildings, which today are once again filled with life in relation to the riding school.

From 1st April 1939 the village of Wendisch-Cunnersdorf was incorporated into Rosenhain and in 1994 into Löbau.

Wohla was first mentioned in a document in 1348 as 'Wal'. As archaeological finds prove, it is in fact a much older settlement. This name belongs to the Upper Lusatian word “wola” = as will, also translated as freedom, which means primarily tax-free land. In the past, Germanic tribes settled in this area. Since around the 7th century Slavic tribes have been coming to this peaceful land. From the 10th century onwards, the repopulation of Germany was led by Lower Saxony, Franconia and Thuringia.

The settlement Munschke, which once consisted of three buildings at the crossing "strata antiqua Lusatiae" by the river Buttermilchwasser, belongs to Wohla. The name of the small settlement group is explained by the Sorbian name "mlynck" for a small mill. Very interesting and significant for Wohla is the fact that in the late Middle Ages the parsons (priests) from Kittlitz lived in the allodial estate of Wohla, and Breitendorf served them in orderly and hitch-up services and was under their jurisdiction.

The manor house, a simple early Baroque building from the middle of the 18th century, with valuable sand figures around the building, has been perfectly restored as a private property and was a guest house for many years. On the eastern slope of the Wohlaer Berg is the Dutch Windmill. An important part of the landscape is also the 346 m high Wohlaer Berg, a mighty granite massif, which historians also call "Commander's Hill of Upper Lusatia" - "Feldherrenhügel der Oberlausitz" (1633 Wallenstein, 1758 Daun, 1813 Napoleon, Prussia (Blücher's army - Major Hiller), Russians (Wassiltschikow), used as a command post in World War II).

From 1935 to 1945, Wohla attracted attention by training glider pilots of the Flieger HJ. Previously an independent municipality was incorporated into Kittlitz in 1974 and since 2003 it has been part of the large district town of Löbau (Große Kreisstadt Löbau).

Seite teilen:
Facebook Twitter

Stadtwerke Löbau Logo - Partner der Stadt Löbau
Messepark Löbau Logo - Partner der Stadt Löbau
WOBAU Logo - Partner der Stadt Löbau